3/15/2012...An Update. A Disclosure.
I know miniscule about Italy. Dabble in pockets of its mystery. And write to remember. I am pulled to, enticed by, long for it and things Italian...small and large...and breathable. The people, their language, the texture, the jewel tones of the culture, the sumptuous food, the accumulated centuries of tradition, passion, and Life -- they all nurture me, mesmerize me when I am there.

For a short time (and at the time I began this blog), I was drawn into an adventure with imported
Italian pottery, but could not persist. However, The Blog continues & exists as a bit of a playground for me. A place to play, to capture my explorations and the riot of colors, the intricacies of Italy, the artistry of Italian design, the sheer joy of Celebrating Life every day. I've neither a planned destination nor a schedule. It's the Journey that draws me. I welcome your company, yet ask you to understand, I do this for me.

Oct 10, 2011

So tell me which of these pottery designs you love best...

I went to the New York International Gift Fair in August.  (Now I tell you!)  Wish you could have been with me.  I had a blast!

I went to touch and breath in some of the newest and most dazzling work in Italian pottery.  And, especially delightful, I met for the first time Luca Sambuco from Ceramiche Sambuco.  Luca and I had been emailing back and forth for a number of months, so it was super to meet him in person -- and his brother Luciano.  Now, I have the honor of giving you a peak at some of the new designs they brought to the New York Gift Fair.

Here we go...
 
Do you know who this is?
I'm testing your knowledge here (just a little) of Italian pottery design.  Take a second look...
I want to pinch their cheeks.
If you said, Raffaellesco, good on you!  This is the time-honored, much loved Raffaellesco pattern.  (Another time, if you like, I will tell you more about the Raffaellesco myth and how it came to be one of the most popular pottery designs.)

For now, I want to show off more of the work.
ABOVE:  The traditional, classic presentation of Raffaellesco pattern.












ABOVE & BELOW:  Sambuco's more modern application in design & form of these whimsical, mythical dragons.  Notice how the "canvass" gives the dragon greater white space in which to show off.  I'd call the above platter shape a "squared octagonal."

I have a soft spot for square plates.  And I love the Raffaellesco dragons peaking around the edges.


Moving now into the olive grove...
Luscious and plump!  A pattern needing no more detailed name than simply, "Olive."  Look at the wonderful shapes of the bowls!

 And finally (for now)...
FARFALLE...Italian for Butterfly.  Colorful, vivid, warm, delicate and strong -- all in one.  This design is Vario Farfalle.

No comments:

Post a Comment