3/15/2012...An Update. A Disclosure.
I know miniscule about Italy. Dabble in pockets of its mystery. And write to remember. I am pulled to, enticed by, long for it and things Italian...small and large...and breathable. The people, their language, the texture, the jewel tones of the culture, the sumptuous food, the accumulated centuries of tradition, passion, and Life -- they all nurture me, mesmerize me when I am there.

For a short time (and at the time I began this blog), I was drawn into an adventure with imported
Italian pottery, but could not persist. However, The Blog continues & exists as a bit of a playground for me. A place to play, to capture my explorations and the riot of colors, the intricacies of Italy, the artistry of Italian design, the sheer joy of Celebrating Life every day. I've neither a planned destination nor a schedule. It's the Journey that draws me. I welcome your company, yet ask you to understand, I do this for me.

Oct 15, 2011

The Argentina and Italy connection...

As for the Argentina-Italy connection, here are two background statistics and one really lovely YouTube video I researched:
  • Up to 25 million Argentines have some degree of Italian descent, around 60% of the total population (Source: Wikipedia 2001 and preliminary 2010 census).  
  • Back in 1905, 40 percent of the Buenos Aires' population was of Italian origin.   They had immigrated to Argentina to build national ports, railroads and theaters and to help turn Argentina into one of the world's richest nations.  (Source: Kevin Hall, Herald World Staff Writer, July 8, 2001 -- a reverse immigration article entitled Italians Fleeing Argentina. ) 
  • Tribute to Italian Immigrants to Argentina - Non Piangere per me Argentina.  Milva is the  Italian singer; you'll recognize the melody, no doubt, if not the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment