3/15/2012...An Update. A Disclosure.
I know miniscule about Italy. Dabble in pockets of its mystery. And write to remember. I am pulled to, enticed by, long for it and things Italian...small and large...and breathable. The people, their language, the texture, the jewel tones of the culture, the sumptuous food, the accumulated centuries of tradition, passion, and Life -- they all nurture me, mesmerize me when I am there.

For a short time (and at the time I began this blog), I was drawn into an adventure with imported
Italian pottery, but could not persist. However, The Blog continues & exists as a bit of a playground for me. A place to play, to capture my explorations and the riot of colors, the intricacies of Italy, the artistry of Italian design, the sheer joy of Celebrating Life every day. I've neither a planned destination nor a schedule. It's the Journey that draws me. I welcome your company, yet ask you to understand, I do this for me.

Oct 15, 2012

Found someone online with family from Popoli!

In early July this year, googling Popoli for seasonal temperatures, on page 1, I found a "travelogue" written by an American whose grandparents emigrated from Italy.  Not unusual - except it showed up on the weather page because his grandmother was from Popoli!  I couldn't believe what I was reading.  It only got better when I clicked to his blog and he was talking about his trip to Popoli and searching for his grandmother's home.

Well, fortunately, when I reached out to him, he supplied me with many great tips for my upcoming trip.  Plus, he shared things he was unable to do while he was there that he thought would be valuable in my search.  Go to the Comune di Popoli (equivalent to our municipal hall of records) for the addresses where Mom-Mom and Pop-Pop were born.  Try to find a 1900's map because street names have changed.  Visit the cemetery to search for my great grandparents or possibly other family members, etc.

This chance online meeting energized me even further and greatly enriched my experience.  I accomplished all three of his major suggestions (which you'll read about as I pull my story together) and, now that I'm back, I'm doing the best I can to enrich his knowledge of Popoli as well.  Thank you so very much, Armando.

No comments:

Post a Comment