3/15/2012...An Update. A Disclosure.
I know miniscule about Italy. Dabble in pockets of its mystery. And write to remember. I am pulled to, enticed by, long for it and things Italian...small and large...and breathable. The people, their language, the texture, the jewel tones of the culture, the sumptuous food, the accumulated centuries of tradition, passion, and Life -- they all nurture me, mesmerize me when I am there.

For a short time (and at the time I began this blog), I was drawn into an adventure with imported
Italian pottery, but could not persist. However, The Blog continues & exists as a bit of a playground for me. A place to play, to capture my explorations and the riot of colors, the intricacies of Italy, the artistry of Italian design, the sheer joy of Celebrating Life every day. I've neither a planned destination nor a schedule. It's the Journey that draws me. I welcome your company, yet ask you to understand, I do this for me.

Jun 16, 2012

First stop...Perugia for a week. Reservations made.

Making progress.  Harry and I decided to enjoy Perugia as a home base for one week in September.   So  we booked our airline reservations to set our travel dates.  And then we booked our room in Albergo Anna, the charming small hotel pictured at right whose staff has already made us feel welcome.

We'll settle in and "just be Italian" every day in Perugia, plus make a few day trips into the surrounding villages.  Albergo Anna is nestled in Perugia's historic district and we intend to walk, walk, walk everywhere -- like we did in Florence several years ago.  Nothing finer!


2 comments:

  1. Hi. I hope this isn't too intrusive, but I've been combing the web trying to find someone who might be able to identify a maker or region in Italy where a platter and bowl were made.

    I have had this set for 31 years and this past weekend, my mother-in-law broke the approximately 22" platter. I tried doing a Google image search but came up with nothing.

    The design is nowhere near as fancy as the things in your blog. Do you have any idea of resources or knowledgable people I might be able to contact?

    BTW, I just spent a week in Tuscany (Montisi) and drove through Perugia, (didn't stop as we were on our way to another town). Enjoy!

    Thanks so much,

    Terri Nakamura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Terri. Sorry for such a delayed response. But I have the best excuse in the world (to my mind!)...we've been in Italy. When you go back to Italy, as I'm fairly sure you will, if you get the chance, do stop in Perugia. We were there a week. And it was really terrific. We stayed in the centro historico -- our favorite hangouts in Italy -- and there was an energy there that we both enjoyed even though it was larger and more "commercial" than the rest of the towns we visited. In Perugia, not to be missed is their underground "treasure," La Rocca Paolina. I will eventually post photos.

    Now, on to your questions. First, I'm very sorry about the breakage. I assume it was too extensive to glue back together. Even if it were not useable and had chips, if there were large enough pieces, I probably would have done that.

    As to identifying it. I can't be much help personally, but if you can take a photo of the front and back of the piece or a piece from the set, try to post it to my blog (I don't know if it will allow that) and I have two people I will ask to look at it for you.

    Second suggestion is this book I've seen on Amazon:
    Italian Pottery Marks From Cantagalli To Fornasetti. Authors: Walter and Karen Del Pellegrino It covers 1850 to 1950. I have not seen it, but it might be worth a look. It's less than $20.

    And a second book by the SAME authors (hmmm!) (also on Amazon and that I have no experience with) is ITALIAN POTTERY MARKS: RIGHTING HISTORY.

    So...perhaps it would do you well to contact Walter and Karen Del Pellegrino directly! Actually, I would start there. I just found their website by googling their names: http://delpellegrino(dot)com

    Please keep me posted. I'm interested in knowing what you find out. Thanks for visiting my blog. Come back soon!

    Ciao,
    Gaye

    ReplyDelete