3/15/2012...An Update. A Disclosure.
I know miniscule about Italy. Dabble in pockets of its mystery. And write to remember. I am pulled to, enticed by, long for it and things Italian...small and large...and breathable. The people, their language, the texture, the jewel tones of the culture, the sumptuous food, the accumulated centuries of tradition, passion, and Life -- they all nurture me, mesmerize me when I am there.

For a short time (and at the time I began this blog), I was drawn into an adventure with imported
Italian pottery, but could not persist. However, The Blog continues & exists as a bit of a playground for me. A place to play, to capture my explorations and the riot of colors, the intricacies of Italy, the artistry of Italian design, the sheer joy of Celebrating Life every day. I've neither a planned destination nor a schedule. It's the Journey that draws me. I welcome your company, yet ask you to understand, I do this for me.

Mar 25, 2012

Year of the Dragon - Italian and Chinese style

The Chinese ushered in The Year of the Dragon on January 23 this year with the beginning of their new year.  Even the United Stated Postal Service honors the Year of the Dragon on new issue stamp. And me?  I celebrate doubly for the dragon also graces (strange dragon description) Italian myths and legends.

Perhaps it began with an early portrayal of this dark creature painted by Raphael around 1504 in his depiction of St. George and The Dragon.  His second version of St. George's heroism induces a dragon even more robust and sinister.  Over the centuries, however, the romantic Italians transformed that mythical beast and made it their own.

The Italians "morphed" the dragon from dark to full of light and delicious tones of rich yellow and golds, touches of red, blues and greens.  From terrifying to not only whimsical but to a symbol of good fortune.  Puffed-cheeked and ensconced in curlicues symbolizing fair winds to relieve the doldrums for seagoing merchants.  The Italians' medium?  Not the canvas and fresco employed by Raphael, but their "ceramiche," their handmade and hand painted pottery patterns proudly baptized Raffaellesco.

I have my own myth!  In true fire-breathing dragon style, I believe the dragons still puff out their curlicues to ignite the fires of today's Italian kilns. It's to their advantage, no?  They're inspiring both their own continued existence and that of new offspring. (Call me a romantic, too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment